September 16. Skills building is a common activity in secular life but possibly not taken seriously enough in our spiritual and relational lives. What skills are needed for a successful marriage? Communication – listening and talking, sharing feelings, decision-making as a personal practical skill and a mutual one, but also deciding to trust, to love, to be responsive and other-centred. Reciprocity is more important here than in any other kind of relationship. Like every other living reality, the family too is called upon to develop and grow. After the preparation of engagement and the sacramental celebration of marriage, the couple begin their daily journey towards the progressive actuation of the values and duties of marriage itself. PCF 65.
10 COMMANDMENTS FOR A HAPPY MARRIAGE.
1. Never both be angry at the same time
2. Never yell at each other unless the house is on fire.
3. If one of you has to win an argument let it be your spouse.
4. If you have to criticise, do it lovingly.
5. Never bring up mistakes of the past.
6. Neglect the whole world rather than each other.
7. Never go to sleep with an unfinished quarrel.
8. At least once every day try to say one kind or complimentary thing to your life’s partner.
9. When you have done something wrong be ready to admit it and ask for forgiveness.
10. Remember, it takes two to start a quarrel!