In the run-up to our May 8 election all the political parties are promising the earth. But what will they deliver? Our bishops have written a Pastoral Letter to us which families too should discuss at home, especially with first time voters. “The General Election of May 8th presents all South Africans with the opportunity to renew our vision for South Africa. It is imperative that we choose wisely and courageously and not be distracted by false promises. Our primary concern as your spiritual leaders is that we choose leaders who will promote the good of all by living the values of the Constitution in the light of the Gospel. We ask you: who do you think would –
- Eradicate corruption more effectively?
- Provide realistic programmes to overcome unemployment and poverty?
- Appoint selfless public servants as leaders at national and provincial level?
- Effectively reduce the level of violence tyrannising our people?
- Transform those attitudes and practices which underlie the violence against women and children?
- Respond effectively to the aspirations of our youth?
- Fulfil the promises they make rather than disappoint us?
- Protect our democracy and its institutions?
SACBC Election prayer. We invite you to recite this prayer in your families and parishes as we prepare for the elections and during the elections: Let us pray for peaceful elections that produce leaders who will always act justly, love tenderly, and walk humbly with their God (Micah 6:8). Almighty Father, as we approach the elections, grant us the wisdom and courage we need in order to make the right choices. Help us to carry out our duties as responsible citizens with respect for the rights of others. By voting in a spirit of humility and service, may we bring hope to the poor, unity to all our people and a more secure and peaceful future for our children. Father, do not allow us to become discouraged, Inspire us to contribute to the rebuilding of our country with vigour and generosity. Amen.
On that day a great persecution arose against the Church in Jerusalem. Saul laid waste to the Church dragged off men and women and committed them to prison. Acts 8:1-8.
Pope Francis: It is only in unity, through conversion of hearts and reconciliation that we will be able to help our country to develop on all levels. EG 230
Mary, Mother of God, mother of Jesus, God and man, pray for us.